Saturday, February 20, 2010

PATRIOTISM VS PLAGERISM


I've been noticing that the Media is skeptical of our pride as a nation during the Olympics. They are wondering if its going to last after everyone goes home and gets back to their lives.

I for one have always been proud of my country. I've been in several arguments with many arrogant people over the years because they view Canada as a pathetic country. I would love to have the Canadian flag fly 24 hours above my house so that when people gaze upon it the song OH CANADA would be sung.

Is it possible that the Maple Leaf could fade and crumble from many people once the Olympics are over, sure, but you mention to any one of us that our country sucks then you better have 911 on speed dial because your foot will become lodged in your mouth or your head will become part of your ass.

I have seen many proud Canadians wearing shirts, hats, tuques, and yes underwear baring either the words Canada, the maple Leaf, or even a beaver. That was before the Olympics and it will be worn after the Olympics.

If our Canada day celebrations get better after this is over then its about damn time. I want a proper celebration for Canada Day in my city because having the fireworks last for only 5 minutes is pathetic. Canada Day should be an all day celebration from eating Canadian food, drinking Canadian made beer, and playing Canadian made sports, while listening to good Canadian music.

The Olympics have made us believe in ourselves and gave us new heroes to look up to, You can not tell me no Canadian shed a tear the day Alexandre Bilodeau won the first gold on Canadian soil. If they didn't then they weren't watching the games or need to have their head examined.

I've been lucky enough to be home to watch three out of four of our Gold Wins, I was on the phone with a telemarketer taking a survey about radio stations when Maelle Ricker won and I had to Stop myself several times from screaming and cheering at the top of my lungs. And when Christine Nesbitt won I had just got home from work and turned on the TV, the announcer was screaming that we had won a gold and I immediately was glued to my television set and tears were going down my face. I was about to fall asleep but I am glad i stayed up long enough to see John Montgomery win, I cheered and cried alot my poor cats thought I was going insane. This week alone I cried more than I did on my own wedding (sorry honey)

Don't view me as a suck when it comes to me crying at the Olympics, this is who I am. I take my sports very seriously. I once cried at the Gray Cup a few years back when the Winnipeg Blue Bombers lost to Saskatchewan. I still Cry at that because we were SOOOOOO close.

So the next time you read in the papers or watch on the news that Canada's not going to show their pride for long just remember you live in a Country that has the nicest people, the best beer, the sexiest men and women, beautiful landscapes, amazing song writers, and the greatest athletes. I am very proud of all our athletes

GO CANADA GO!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment