Tuesday, January 26, 2010

DEAR INTERNET


I can’t help but feel a sense of regret for not being there for Conan when he took over the Tonight Show. Due to working dumb shifts and switching jobs, I’ve missed several episodes. I’ve been a huge fan of his for years. Many of the skits that I laughed hysterically at on SNL were written by him.
I am saddened by the decision that NBC made to not keep Conan at all, he worked hard for them and this is the way they repay him. And to cancel him on the eve of the five year anniversary of Johnny Carson’s death was in my mind killing him twice.

At first I was in total disbelief and thought that this was only a publicity stunt to get more viewers to watch, but after watching Conan’s last broadcast on the Tonight show made it clear….NBC screwed him royally. They tried to make it seem like they were the good guys by giving him a severance package and a ban on appearing on his own for seven months.

I keep hearing that Fox want to have him but with Fox’s track record of cancelling good shows before they have a chance to flourish, I can’t help but worry for our pale faced redhead. I think if he would go to Comedy Central and work with Colbert for a while until he gets himself settled in would be a better idea. Or hell how about working for Howard Stern for a year, That would encourage many people to get Satellite and forcing NBC to hide in their proverbial closets and suck their thumbs while their walls around them come crashing down.
Now I am seeing the support that the fans are giving through facebook and all over the net. CNN and other new groups are claiming that the support won’t last. But I disagree. We are a strong group, and Conan will continue to shine.

Conan has stated that we should not be cynical; however it is quite hard sometimes not to be. I see people trying to capitalize on the loss of Conan. Their making t-shirts, signs, and even wigs of Conan’s hair. I even saw on e-bay someone is selling what is supposed to be an actual Triumph the insulting dog.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Triumph-Insult-Comic-Dog-Conan-OBrien-Authentic-Puppet_W0QQitemZ220535254243QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3358ecece3

I just hope that Conan knows that he has the support he deserves from his fans. As a fellow nerd who laughed at all his jokes about nerds online and all his comic book references, I want to thank you for giving me the inspiration for going into broadcasting.

I hope the best for you COCO!!
It’s going to be a long seven months but I hope you take a nice long vacation to Ireland and kiss the Blarney stone for me!!
LOVE YOU ALWAYS! YOUR 1 BILLIONTH FAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment